[Pacemaker] new RA: http_ping

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 16 09:01:20 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:53:45AM +0000, Nicolai Langfeldt wrote:
> On 2012-08-16 11:14, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:53:33PM +0000, Nicolai Langfeldt wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've written a new RA based on what I learnt from the ping and nginx RAs
> >> for monitoring frontend-proxy-stacks.
> >>
> >> It is attached here for your consideration - and indeed - critique.  I
> >> am hopeful that it makes it into the pacemaker distribution some time.
> >
> > Did you consider using the existing monitor facility in the
> > apache RA? It can be sourced from
> > /usr/lib/ocf/lib/heartbeat/http-mon.sh
> > Somebody was already up to this, but it seems like they gave up.
> > More details here:
> > https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/pull/22
>
> Didn't.  Looked at the ping/pingd and nginx RAs.  Grepped and googled a
> bit.  http-mon.sh isn't in the Ubuntu resource-agents 1:3.9.2-5ubuntu4.1
> package (as found ubuntu 12.04) and I never pulled from github.  Pulled
> together http_ping.

Well, if you're into development, the source repository is your
best friend :)

> It works, it's complete from my point of view.

Oh, I have no doubt about that.

>  It can't start or stop
> anything, but it can monitor any http (or https) service that's not
> managed by the cluster and set attrd attributes based on that to aid
> location rules.

The script I quoted above has quite a few features which makes
possible monitoring for non-trivial http requests. Take a look
at /usr/share/doc/resource-agents/README.webapps for more
details. BTW, I wanted to do this for a long time, but somehow
there was always something more urgent.

Thanks,

Dejan