[Pacemaker] Startup ordering problem

Brett Delle Grazie brett.dellegrazie at intact-is.com
Fri Sep 10 09:24:06 EDT 2010

Hi,

Comments interleaved below,

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 15:43 +0000, Jody Nickel wrote:
> I'm attempting to deliver my first clustering solution and
> I'm making progress but I'm having trouble with getting
> things to start in the proper order.
>
> Here is what I'd like it to do:
>
> The two database services run on "special" nodes that have
> more disk capacity. At most 2 nodes in the cluster can
> be database nodes, 1 primary 1 replicated.
>
> Apache can run on any node in the cluster, load balances to
> the tomcat nodes.
>
> Tomcat runs on every node in the cluster.
>

> When the primary database (non-standby database) goes down
> I need for Tomcat to be restarted so that any database connections
> to the failed db service are gone, and brought back up after the standby
> has been re-started as the new primary.

One alternative approach (and there are others) is to configure the
database pool in Tomcat to retry connecting to the database
automatically.  This usually requires that the database is served on a
floating IP.

Specific database configuration varies according to what database you're
connecting to.  Basic Tomcat configuration is described here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Tomcat 6 and below use the DBCP pool by default, configuration described
here:
http://commons.apache.org/dbcp/configuration.html

Tomcat 7 has its own pooling mechanism which by all reports is
significantly faster.

Oracle, DB2, MySQL all have options in their JDBC drivers to connect to
multiple systems.  All of these require a modicum of application support
to preserve ACID compliance under failure conditions.

Alternatively someone else might have a constraint which you could use
to effect a restart.  I'm not sure what it might be however.

--
Best Regards,

Brett Delle Grazie