[Pacemaker] Installation woes (w/Debian packages)

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Oct 15 04:51:43 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:07:56AM +0200, Colin wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Andrew Beekhof <andrew at beekhof.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Colin <colin.hch at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The config explained document is excellent -- once everything is up
> >> and running to arrive at "its level".
> >
> > Agreed. ?I've started working on some howtos to fill the gap, but it
> > will take time :-)
>
> Another question regarding how to activate a pacemaker config: Is
> there any way to activate the config before the cluster starts up?
>
> (Scenario is that the installation of the cluster nodes is fully
> automatic. It seems a bit awkward how to configure pacemaker if I
> can't just write out a config file during install: I need to somehow
> make sure that on first system boot a script that activates my config
> is executed, but not too early because it takes a minute or so until
> cibadmin(1) and friends actually work...)

I believe you can drop a cib.xml into place before the cluster first starts
and it'll pick up and run with that.  I'm not a fan of that method, though,
as it has all the same problems as imaging machines (no easy means of
updating running configs the same way as you update "initial" configs, and
so on).  We're configuring pacemaker using Puppet, just describing the
primitives, groups, constraints and so on in the manifest and having Puppet
do all the heavy lifting if required.

Why do you need to have the config setup completely before starting
the cluster, though?

- Matt