[Pacemaker] Does LVM resouce agent conflict with UDEV rules?

Sven Arnold sven.arnold at localite.de
Wed Mar 6 16:41:51 EST 2013

Dear all,

on my test setup (iSCSI on top of LVM on top of DRBD) I was not able to
reliable migrate the volume group from one node to the other.

I have two logical volumes that are mapped to two different LUNs on one
iSCSI Target. During migration of the resource group (LVM + iSCSI) the
LVM resource often failed to start properly on the target node. I
noticed that sometimes not all LVs would be activated. From the log
files I suspected that udev could have something to do with this.

In fact, disabling the udev rule

SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add|change", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="lvm*|LVM*",\
   RUN+="watershed sh -c '/sbin/lvm vgscan; /sbin/lvm vgchange -a y'"

seems to resolve the problem for me.

Question(s):
Is this a known problem? Am I supposed to tune udev when managing LVM
resources by a cluster resource manager? Or should this be considered as
a bug in either udev or LVM resource agent?

I am using:
pacemaker 1.1.6-2ubuntu3
resource-agents 1:3.9.2-5ubuntu4.1
udev 175-0ubuntu9.2

on Ubuntu 12.04

There is also a bug report on launchpad (although it is related only to
12.10 there):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lvm2/+bug/1088081

Kind regards,

Sven