[Pacemaker] Question about the behavior when a pacemaker's process crashed

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Wed Jul 24 22:00:45 EDT 2013

On 24/07/2013, at 7:40 PM, Kazunori INOUE <inouekazu at intellilink.co.jp> wrote:

> (13.07.18 19:23), Andrew Beekhof wrote:

>>> If careful of the increase in downtime, isn't it better to prevent fencing, in this case?
>>
>> With hindsight, yes.
>> But we have no way of knowing at the time.
>> If you want pacemaker to wait some time for it to come back, you can set crmd-transition-delay which will achieve the same thing it does for attrd.
>
> I think that only a little is suitable for my demand because crmd-transition-delay is delay.

The only alternative to a delay, either by crmd-transition-delay or some other means, is that the crmd predicts the future.

>>> Because pacemakerd respawns a broken child process, so the cluster will return to a online state.
>>> If so, does subsequent fencing not increase a downtime?
>>
>> Yes, but only we know that because we have more knowledge than the cluster.
>
> Is it because stack is corosync?

No.

> In pacemaker-1.0 with heartbeat, behavior when a child process crashed can be specified by ha.cf.
> - when specified 'pacemaker respawn', the cluster will recover to online.

The node may still end up being fenced even with "pacemaker respawn".

If the node does not recover fast enough, relative to the "some process died" notification, then the node will get fenced.
If the "hey the process is back again" notification gets held up due to network congestion, then the node will get fenced.
Like most things in clustering, timing is hugely significant - consider a resource that fails just before vs. just after a monitor action is run

Now it could be that heartbeat is consistently slow sending out the "some process died" notification (I recall it does not send them at all sometimes), but that would be a bug not a feature.

> - when specified 'pacemaker on', the node will reboot by oneself.

"by oneself"?  Not because the other side fences it?