[Pacemaker] Question to fencing/stonithing

Leon Fauster leonfauster at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 2 06:16:36 EDT 2013

Am 02.07.2013 um 01:35 schrieb Andreas Mock <andreas.mock at web.de>:
> Hi Leon,
>
> thank you for the pointer to the manuals. I read it already.
>
> My 2-node-cluster seems not to fence the other node
> at startup. And I do not have an explanation. That's the reason
> I asked (after reading the docs).
>
> - CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT=0
> As the inline doc says:
> # CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT -- amount of time to wait for a quorate cluster on
> #     startup quorum is needed by many other applications, so we may as
> #     well wait here.  If CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT is zero, quorum will
> #     be ignored.
>
> => quorum is ignored => fence-domain is created and enabled with the first
> node
> joining (isn't it?).
>
> - as man fenced says:
> When the fence domain is first created in the cluster (by the first node to
> join it)
> and subsequently enabled (by the cluster gaining quorum)  any
> nodes  listed  in cluster.conf that are not presently members of the
> corosync cluster are fenced.
>
> - so, does quorum ignore mean: You don't have quorum but
> it doesn't matter or does it mean the first node does get quorum
> even it's the one an only node.
>
> So, my questions more precise:
> Why does a startup-fencing not happen in my 2-node-cluster?
> Is there a way to get this behaviour?

To give the nodes more time (default 6s) after booting them
you can add into /etc/sysconfig/cman
FENCED_OPTS="-j 30"

but what i understand is, that you do not have this fence behavior.
Just post your config and some scenario infos (e.g. boot, manually
start cman, corosync-objctl | grep members) etc.

--
LF