[Pacemaker] Question to fencing/stonithing

Andreas Mock andreas.mock at web.de
Mon Jul 1 19:35:24 EDT 2013

Hi Leon,

thank you for the pointer to the manuals. I read it already.

My 2-node-cluster seems not to fence the other node
at startup. And I do not have an explanation. That's the reason
I asked (after reading the docs).

- CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT=0
As the inline doc says:
# CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT -- amount of time to wait for a quorate cluster on
#     startup quorum is needed by many other applications, so we may as
#     well wait here.  If CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT is zero, quorum will
#     be ignored.

=> quorum is ignored => fence-domain is created and enabled with the first
node
joining (isn't it?).

- as man fenced says:
When the fence domain is first created in the cluster (by the first node to
join it)
and subsequently enabled (by the cluster gaining quorum)  any
nodes  listed  in cluster.conf that are not presently members of the
corosync cluster are fenced.

- so, does quorum ignore mean: You don't have quorum but
it doesn't matter or does it mean the first node does get quorum
even it's the one an only node.

So, my questions more precise:
Why does a startup-fencing not happen in my 2-node-cluster?
Is there a way to get this behaviour?

Best regards
Andreas Mock