[Pacemaker] FYI/RFC: Name for 'system service' alias

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Tue Jun 26 08:16:08 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Florian Haas <florian at hastexo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Andrew Beekhof <andrew at beekhof.net> wrote:
>> I've added the concept of a 'system service' that expands to whatever standard the local machine supports.
>> So you could say, in xml, <primitive id="Magic" class="system" type="mysql"> and the cluster would use 'lsb' on RHEL, 'upstart' on Ubuntu and 'systemd' on newer fedora releases.
>> Handy if you have a mixed cluster.
>>
>> My question is, what to call it?
>> 'system', 'service', something else?
>
> I think Red Hat Cluster has similar functionality named "service", so
> in the interest of continuity that would be my preference.

Fair enough, thats what David went with originally, I just wanted to
put it out there before it got set in stone.

> One thought though: what's supposed to happen on platforms that
> support several system service interfaces, such as Ubuntu which
> supports both Upstart and LSB? IOW: If I define a service as
> service:foobar, and there is no upstart job named foobar, but
> /etc/init.d/foobar exists, would that be an OCF_ERR_INSTALLED?

No. We'd use the LSB script.
We check all available system type services until we find a match.

If someone actually wanted the OCF_ERR_INSTALLED behaviour, 'lsb' and
'upstart' will continue to exist as possible classes.
So they would use upstart:foobar instead.

>> In other news, the next pacemaker release will support systemd and both it and upstart will use a persistent connection to the DBus API (no more forking!).
>
> Sweet!

Code is now in Clusterlabs/master if you want to take it for a spin.