[Pacemaker] FYI/RFC: Name for 'system service' alias

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Tue Jun 26 02:44:26 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Andrew Beekhof <andrew at beekhof.net> wrote:
> I've added the concept of a 'system service' that expands to whatever standard the local machine supports.
> So you could say, in xml, <primitive id="Magic" class="system" type="mysql"> and the cluster would use 'lsb' on RHEL, 'upstart' on Ubuntu and 'systemd' on newer fedora releases.
> Handy if you have a mixed cluster.
>
> My question is, what to call it?
> 'system', 'service', something else?

I think Red Hat Cluster has similar functionality named "service", so
in the interest of continuity that would be my preference.

One thought though: what's supposed to happen on platforms that
support several system service interfaces, such as Ubuntu which
supports both Upstart and LSB? IOW: If I define a service as
service:foobar, and there is no upstart job named foobar, but
/etc/init.d/foobar exists, would that be an OCF_ERR_INSTALLED?

> In other news, the next pacemaker release will support systemd and both it and upstart will use a persistent connection to the DBus API (no more forking!).

Sweet!

Cheers,
Florian