[Pacemaker] Tomcat and "unmanaged failed"

Stallmann, Andreas AStallmann at CONET.DE
Wed Jun 6 10:14:48 EDT 2012

Hi there,

Von: Andreas Kurz [mailto:andreas at hastexo.com]
>> STONITH is not possible in our scenario, unfortunately. I'd rather have the tomcat script try to "stop" the daemon twice and if this does not succeed get the PID and kill it hard (and then report "0" on the stop action to crm). Should be possible by changing the script, shouldn't it?
> Of course, this is possible ... please share your changes with the community ;-)

actually, the reason for Tomcat6 running into "unmanaged failed" can be found in catalina.sh (which is - at least on SuSE - a symlink to /usr/sbin/dtomcat6). This calls some Java method (org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap) with the argument "stop" but doesn't care for the outcome. In Tomcat7 the same method is called, but with an additional timeout value. On top of that, the result (CATALINA_PID still there or not) is checked and - if yes - a hard "kill" of the daemon is forced. I "backported" this from Tomcat7 to Tomcat6 and now everything should run smoothly. :-)

Thus: Nothing has to be changed in the resource agent.

Cheers,

Andreas

CONET Solutions GmbH, Theodor-Heuss-Allee 19, 53773 Hennef.
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Siegburg (HRB Nr. 9136)
Gesch?ftsf?hrer/Managing Directors: Anke H?fer