[Pacemaker] Help on setting order of resources

Jake Smith jsmith at argotec.com
Tue Aug 21 11:27:55 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

Ahh now I see your confusion.  Let me see if I can help.  I'm only going to talk about mandatory order and colocation statements - advisory are a bit different.  I left out the inf: from the order statements above before - I've correct them now.  Ordering and colocation do effect each other but neither wins or overwrites the other.  Pacemaker attempts to fulfill all constraints and does nothing if it can't meet all required mandatory requirements.  First some basic definitions:

order - the mandatory order in which resources must start/stop
colocation - mandatory placement of resource.  Where (what node) a resource is allowed to run based upon the location of another resource.

In the example above that doesn't work:
Ordering is requiring that 1 starts before 2 can start (and 2 before 3).  So 1 has to start up before anything else.
Now the colocation says that 1 has to run where 2 runs and 2 must run where 3 runs.  So until 3 is running we have no valid location to run 2 (and therefore also no place for 1). If 3 isn't running anywhere then 1 and 2 can't run anywhere either.  Ordering doesn't allow us to start 3 until 1 and 2 are started and at the same time colocation doesn't have any valid nodes to run 1 or 2 until we have 3 running in a known location.

End result nothing runs because ordering tries to start 1 and then the colocation says I have no valid node for it because 2 isn't running anywhere so it doesn't start.  Same things hold true for 2 and 3.

More information here that might be clearer than what I said for each as well as more complex examples:
http://www.clusterlabs.org/mwiki/images/d/d6/Ordering_Explained.pdf
http://www.clusterlabs.org/mwiki/images/6/61/Colocation_Explained.pdf

Jake