[Pacemaker] Debugging pacemaker state transitions

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 14 06:20:08 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 04:20:23PM -0400, Sutherland, Rob wrote:
> Whenever something goes wrong with one of our systems I find myself
> asking the same questions:
>

> - in which state was pacemaker?
>
> - what transition is being attempted?
>
> - why?
>
> - did it succeed?
>

> The answers to these question are in the logs, of course. The logs are
> huge, making this quite a chore . Is there a tool/heuristic/rule of
> thumb to help?

The recent crm shell history feature helps with reading logs.
There's an rpm (crmsh) for some distributions available at OBS:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/ha-clustering
It supports all Pacemaker versions 1.1.x.

Note that you'll have to enfore overwriting some files of
pacemaker when installing crmsh.

There's also some documentation currently in works, hope to have
it ready for publication soon, in a week or two. The history
feature is of course fully documented in the crm help.

If you prefer mouse, the Hawk GUI, available from the same
repositories, also has a feature called History Explorer which
relies on the shell history.

Thanks,

Dejan