[Pacemaker] Stonith setup hostname params

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 29 09:28:21 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 09:08:32PM +0400, Pavel Levshin wrote:
> 28.03.2011 18:35, Dejan Muhamedagic:
>>> Currently, crm shell cannot handle quoted parameters with spaces from the command line. Try to enter it interactively:
>> The crm shell gets what bash (or dash) passes. The quotes are
>> gobbled by bash in that process. Basically, what you type is not
>> what crm sees.
>>

> I understand the mechanics. It is machine-centric and confusing to some
> users.
>
> It is not absolutely impossible to accept quoted parameters from command
> line. Quotes are stripped, but these parameters are preserved in single
> arguments.
>
>> Right. I really don't understand why's everybody trying to
>> configure the cluster directly from bash instead of doing it in
>> crm configure.
>>

> CRM shell offers this opportunity, that's why many users try to use it.

The fact that the shell has this feature doesn't mean that it
should be misused. It was meant mainly for one-off management
commands (such as "resource stop" or "node standby") and only
very seldom for one-off configuration commands. There's a
plethora of things which can go wrong when used for
configuration directly from the command line. It also makes the
cluster work harder because every invocation has an implicit
commit and the changes immediately take effect. Because of that
the user also must pay attention to the order of configuration
elements which otherwise isn't necessary. It's a bit like taking
apples one by one from your garden into the house, instead of
bringing over a box of apples. Just worse than that. I could go
on, btw.

> But, unfortunately, the feature is not uniform with interactive shell.

How's that now? I know that many people don't understand how
shell (as in bash) work, but don't understand how crm shell can
work around that. If you have an idea, please speak up.

Thanks,

Dejan