[Pacemaker] stonith in pacemaker clarification

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 1 10:06:37 EST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 02:08:43PM +0300, Pentarh Udi wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I see in docs many explanations of what the stonith IS, how to configure it,
> etc
>
> But I can not figure out in which cases does it activates.
>
> Question: What should happen to start pacemaker fence some node?

In case the status of a node or a resource running on a node
cannot be established. Practically, that means no heartbeat from
the node (it's apparently dead or it lost connection) and failed
stop action for the resource.

> And next question. I have the following stonith layout for now:
>
>  st-node4       (stonith:external/ipmi):        Started node3
>  st-node3       (stonith:external/ipmi):        Started node4
>
> Both of these configured do not run stonith resource on a same node. This is
> because my IPMI can not shoot itself over lan fisically.
>
> So.. If node3 fails, pacemaker will start migrating resources out of node3.
> So it will call "st-node4 stop"....

It won't. The stop operation is implied once the node is fenced.

> The question is: will the hang of node3 will call fence of healthy node4?

Not sure what you mean here.

Thanks,

Dejan