[Pacemaker] DRBD Management Console 0.6.0

Rasto Levrinc rasto.levrinc at linbit.com
Tue Mar 2 07:12:25 EST 2010

On Tue, March 2, 2010 11:41 am, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2010-02-28T12:24:26, Rasto Levrinc <rasto.levrinc at linbit.com> wrote:

> cool stuff. It's sad that we end up with a competing thingy ... Maybe we
> could keep Tim's pure web-ui for the monitoring and most simple bits and
> have drbd-mc replace the python UI.

Thanks lmb. I see a place for Hawk as a lightweight tool to quickly make
some changes and I could even somehow integrate in the DRBD-MC. I can
speed up the DRBD-MC quite a bit still, I did not even try to optimize it
till now, but it will never be very fast.

> How does it interact with the CRM shell? Does it issue XML changes
> directly? What kind of network connection is required between the UI client
> and the servers?

DRBD-MC connects itself via SSH and uses mostly cibadmin and crm_resource
commands on the host. It could simply use crm shell commands instead, but
it doesn't at the moment, mostly to be compatible with older Heartbeats
and there was no reason to change it.

> Do you plan to implement support for the utilization functionality?

Yep, but it is not high priority at the moment.

>> * allowing /dev/disk/by-uuid/ disks in DRBD, silently converting them
>> for now
>
> What are you converting them to? Refering to /dev/disk/by-id/ is
> perfectly fine, as these are stable (as is not necessarily true for the
> device nams they point to.)

This for drbd.conf.
I just convert it to whatever the link points to and next time save the
real device name. It sucks, but at least it doesn't break the DRBD-MC if
somebody's using it at the moment. In the future I want to let the user
decide if he wants to use it.

> Have you looked at the proposal for the ACLs on the CIB, would these
> work for your system?

Yeah I look briefly at it and I will implement it as soon as it is
available. Especially that it is a feature that I was asked about several
times already by several people.

Before there are ACLs in Pacemaker and for older versions I want to hide
options depending if you want to configure or just to operate the cluster,
not as a security feature, but as a means to find the stuff you need
faster.

> Is there a chance to share more code between the various UIs that, I
> think, we are going to keep going forward? (I'm pretty sure the crm shell,
> the web-ui and yours are going to remain actively maintained.)

Yes, I like that.

> With the name you've chosen, you're sort of implying that you're mostly
> focused on DRBD, whereas the actual code is much broader ... have you
> considered calling it something more generic?

I wanted to throw some Pacemaker pictures inside for some time, but I
think the name should not change, since we are Linbit. :)
Of course I would like, that it will be somehow clear, that DRBD-MC is
also a Pacemaker GUI.

Rasto

--
: Dipl-Ing Rastislav Levrinc