[Pacemaker] cluster/load balancing in openvz containers

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Thu Feb 25 06:07:32 EST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 25. Februar 2010 11:56:32 schrieb wessel:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get load balancing working on my test configuration which
> consist of openvz containers (I would even like to use openvz on the
> production machines if possible, makes configuration/migration etc easy).
>
> I have the HA part working, I created venet interfaces on the containers
> en added them together with the host interface in a bridge on the host.
> This even works with 3 containers on 2 different hardware hosts.
>
> The load balancing part is a bit more problematic: I created a clone of
> the ip and of the website, and it starts the web server on both
> containers, so till there it looks fine.
> But if I do requests it always seems to come from the same node. Until I
> put that node in standby, than I get the requests from another node.
>
> My host is ubuntu hardy 8.04, my containers are debian lenny. Could the
> problem be because of the http://www.linux-ha.org/ClusterIP ,
> ipt_CLUSTERIP which is probably missing in my container kernel? I don't
> get any error messages in the logfile. At least none that looks related.
>
> Below is my config.
>
> Thanks for any help/suggestions!
>
> Wessel

Yes. Perhaps that might be the problem. But before I add the CLUSTERIP stuff to
the cluster I would test it manually. Only if this works your can make a
resource from it. Please note that the CLUSTERIP target is only valid for the
INPUT chain.

I also had bad experience with CLUSTERIP and virtual machines, esp vmware.

Please check if the hash values are correcetly on the nodes. And also trace
the packages on all possible interfaces with tcpdump.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch at multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42