[Pacemaker] Resource configuration for Xen domu VM with drbd partition as disk

Helmut Weymann helmut at h-weymann.de
Sun Feb 21 20:14:40 EST 2010

My current system includes two PCs each of them booted with Xen dom0.
One drbd resource is dedicated as disk for a para-virtual domu VM.
The setup is such that the drbd resource is started with both instances in
secondary mode and both instances are allowed to become primary at the same
time.

Xen includes a drbd device script which supports life-migration of para-
virtualized VMs. That script handles the promotion of the drbd resource
depending on the host which is going to start the VM.

If I now want my pacemaker cluster to control the drbd resource and the VM I
would need a clone for the drbd resource which has to start first. As soon as
both instances of the clone are available with both drbd resources in
secondary mode the cluster manager is free to start the VM on one of the two
nodes.

Starting domu on node2 should be the only necessary action for the cluster
manager. The Xen drbd-disk manager should now take care of promoting the right
instance of the drbd clone to primary mode. During migration the two instances
are tempory both in primary mode and after migration the first instance will
be demoted again by the xen drbd-device script.

Now my question:
There are several cluster resource agents for a drbd resource available. Is
any of these able to handle a drbd-device just as a clone? The master-resource
may not be able to co-operate with the xen drbd-disk script.

thanks for any advice,

Helmut