[Pacemaker] aisexec high cputime on debian

Kees Hoekzema kees at tweakers.net
Sun Oct 18 06:42:44 EDT 2009

Hello List,

Since a few days I have been playing around with pacemaker on my debian
install. The installation, although not standard, went quite well. However I
am running into a problem.

Aisexec is eating up quite a bit of cputime. This is the output from a ps
aux when it ran less than 15 hours, after which aisexec consumed over 60
minutes of cputime. I understand that it needs some resources to do its job,
but an average of 6-7% cpu all the time seems a bit high to me.

USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root      4261  6.5  1.0 106472 38660 ?        SLl  Oct17  60:48
/usr/sbin/aisexec

Searching on this list gave me:
[Pacemaker] Aisexec use 50% cpu:
http://oss.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/pacemaker/2009-September/002814.html

In this mail someone else complains about roughly the same behavior. Michael
Schwartzkopff states that it should be fixed in a patch, and that those
patches should be in the ha-corosync repository. However, the newest debian
packages can be found on the 'ha' repository again since 13-10.

So I installed these packages and got the following:
Package: pacemaker-openais
Version: 1.0.5+hg20091012-1~bpo50+1

My question: Is it normal for aisexec, using these packages, to consume this
much cpu? If it is not, how can I fix it, and if it is normal; is there a
way to make it consume less cpu? The cpu in this server is an X5570, one of
the fastest CPU's you can get nowadays.

-kees