[Pacemaker] Pacemaker on OpenAIS, RRP, and link failure

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Mon May 25 13:23:52 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 18:32 +0300, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Florian Haas writes:
>
>  > Agree that they're hacks, but disagree with your alternative. Why should
>  > Pacemaker be concerned with low-level OpenAIS recovery procedures?
>
> then have the variable in OpenAIS configuration.

Self-healing is not as obvious or easy as it sounds.  Totem (the
protocol) has no way to determine when the admin has replaced the faulty
switch in the network.

The only options I see is to periodically try the failed ring for
liveness.  The problem with this approach is it is hard to implement.
Another option is to reenable the ring after some period of time
internally and "hope for the best".  The problem is with this approach
that is causes performance degredation every time the failed ring is
reenabled and restarted.

I think the first option is the best, but atm there isn't anyone that
has written patches and most people are focused on the 1.0 release...

Regards
-steve