[Pacemaker] crm_resource enhancement requests

Dominik Klein dk at in-telegence.net
Thu May 15 08:40:31 EDT 2008

Hi Lars

thanks for your thoughts on this.

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2008-05-15T14:13:17, Dominik Klein <dk at in-telegence.net> wrote:
>
>> -W -r $groupid should not report "running" when the group is only partially
>> running or say "partially running".
>
> History teaches that this isn't a good idea; "running" and "partially
> running" both match the "*running*" pattern.

I don't know much history but I can imagine.

> Or in any case, the printed statement should only be advisory (for
> humans) and scripts should instead get a specific exit code to check
> for.

Guess I implied a reasonable exit code :)

>> -M could check whether there is any node with a positive score for the
>> resource before entering the -INFINITY constraint and refuse entering the
>> migration constraint if there is no node we could migrate to.
>
> -M means "get it away from here", which is not the same as "move it
> somewhere else".

Good point. Thanks for pointing this out.

> Besides, checking for a node with a positive score
> requires a full PE run, I'm not sure that's desirable.

I have no experience with large setups, so I have no idea about how long
this takes with many nodes and many resources. But I guess I get your
point. If out of my comment you think I don't - please don't hesitate to
explain further :)

>> -M -H $nodename should check whether $nodename has a score of -INFINITY or
>> a failcount of INFINITY (which wouldnt allow $resource to run there even
>> with the added constraint of score INFINITY) and refuse entering the
>> migration constraint if any of that is true.
>
> Same here.

Even if only the specified node is to be checked?

> Even if implemented, --force of course should disable those safety
> checks.

Ack.

Regards
Dominik