[Pacemaker] Full API description for Fence Agent

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Thu Jun 13 20:50:21 EDT 2013

On 14/06/2013, at 6:26 AM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:

> On 06/13/2013 10:51 AM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>> On 2013-06-11T09:34:10, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>   If you have any trouble, please don't hesitate to ask here and we will do
>>> our best to help.
>>
>> I wonder what the perspective is on standardizing on one fencing API.
>> Both the "old" cluster-glue one and this one are remarkably similar
>> (except for passing in stuff via stdin or the environment, mostly).

If I had my way, they'd
- have env variables the same as OCF
- be executable from the command line like the RH ones
- avoid the 350 layers of indirection in the glue ones (C plugins forking bash scripts and "here's the list of hosts so that I can ask you the list of hosts" stuff)
- provide a common shell and/or python library for option handling (env -> $x, stdin -> $x, command line options -> $x)

IMHO the RH ones are the closest to ideal and almost all use a common python library so adding environment variable support would only have to happen once (using the same names as for stdin).
They could use some additional strictness though (how to specify the node to kill for example).

>> Anyone else interested in merging them?
>>

>> Regards,
>>     Lars
>
> I can't see Red Hat changing their existing API,

Since RH doesn't support third-party agents I don't see why it could not be changed.