[Pacemaker] Is possible to configure Pacemaker Active / Passive failover without hardware?

Michael Furman michael_furman at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 7 11:54:45 EDT 2013

Thank you for the prompt response!
I am new in HA but I learn fast :)

Anycase, due to luck of time we must start without a fencing device and only network. Is it possible with Pacemaker? In the next release we will add fencing.
Can you send me link to doc?
BTW, may be you know if the first versions of Linux HA (before split of Pacemaker) also required a fence device? Or was possible to use network only?
I appreciate your help!!! Michael

Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:

It is possible in the same way that it is possible to drive on the
highway without your seatbelt. First time something goes wrong though,
you are in deep trouble. The biggest risk is a node that locks up but
doesn't die. Any network based "detection" will not be able to tell the
difference between a locked up node that may recover from a truly dead
node. The only way to be sure is to fence it.

So practically speaking, no, you must have fencing and the fence
mechanism must be external to the node to be of use. The most common
method is using a server's out of band management (IPMI, iLO, DRAC,
etc). If you don't have this, then the APC brand AP7900 (or your
country's version of) is an excellent switched PDU that works as a
fantastic fence device. I frequently see these used for ~$200 (canadian).

The 'fence_pcmk' is meant to hook cman's fencing into pacemaker's. It
still requires a real fence device be setup in pacemaker.

hth

digimer