[Pacemaker] Is possible to configure Pacemaker Active / Passive failover without hardware?

Michael Furman michael_furman at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 7 10:34:39 EDT 2013

Dear Pacemaker community!

I want to install 2 Centos machines and to
configure HA using one virtual IP.

I do not want to use power card or something like this.

I want to use communication to determine the failing of nodes: broadcast /
mulicast UDP / TCP.

But I am confused if it possible. From one side I see here that the failover
is configured without any hardware:

http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1-plugin/html-single/Clusters_from_Scratch/index.html#_perform_a_failover

On the second side I see that on quickstart and FAQ required a fencing
device (that is hardware):

1.      On quickstart http://clusterlabs.org/quickstart-redhat.html
you can find the followowing commands: ccs
-f /etc/cluster/cluster.conf --addfencedev pcmk agent=fence_pcmk

2.
Similar here: http://clusterlabs.org/quickstart-ubuntu.html
<fencedevice name="pcmk"
agent="fence_pcmk"/>

3.      http://clusterlabs.org/faq.html

Q: Do I need a fencing device?

A: Yes. Fencing is the only 100% reliable way to ensure the integrity of your
data and that applications are only active on one host. Although Pacemaker is
technically able to function without Fencing, there are a good reasons SUSE and
Red Hat will not support such a configuration.

Please help!

Will be great if you  provide the link to
the appropriate documentation.

Best regards,

   Michael