[ClusterLabs] Trouble starting up PAF cluster for first time

Casey & Gina caseyandgina at icloud.com
Mon Apr 9 12:26:34 EDT 2018

> The PAF resource agent need to connect to your local PostgreSQL instance to
> check its status in various situations. Parameters "pgport" and "pghost" are by
> default "5432" and "/tmp" (same defaults than PostgreSQL policy). The "/tmp"
> value is the directory where PostgreSQL creates its unix socket on startup
> where local clients can connect through. The unix socket will be
> eg. "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432".
>
> However, the Debian policy is overwrite the "pghost" default value with
> "/var/run/postgresql", not "/tmp".

Since I'm installing PAF using `apt-get install resource-agents-paf`, I would expect that it being packaged for Debian/Ubuntu would follow the standard of that platform.  Would it be possible for the APT packager to add a patch to change this default?  Thanks for explaining this - I've been using /var/run/postgresql myself for so long that I forgot /tmp was the upstream default...

> However, your problem doesn't comes from the start operation here. Right after
> the start occurs, PAF connects to PostgreSQL to check if it is started as
> expected and report the real status to Pacemaker. Because it couldn't connect to
> your instance using the wrong pghost, PAF was reporting an error to Pacemaker.

It would be great if there were a way for it to log more information back to Pacemaker about what exactly it's executing as it does so, even if this required a non-default debug configuration.  I guess either way that Pacemaker doesn't have any direct awareness of what commands are being executed through the resource agent so it's not a job that Pacemaker could do itself.

Thanks for the help!
--
Casey