[ClusterLabs] IP clone issue

Octavian Ciobanu coctavian1979 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 09:41:46 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I've encountered an issue with IP cloning.

Based the "Pacemaker 1.1 Clusters from Scratch" I've configured a test
configuration with 2 nodes based on CentOS 7.3. The nodes have 2 Ethernet
cards one for cluster communication with private IP network and second for
public access to services. The public Ethernet has no IP assigned at boot.

I've created an IP resource with clone using the following command

pcs resource create ClusterIP ocf:heartbeat:IPaddr2 params nic="ens192"
ip="xxx.yyy.zzz.www" cidr_netmask="24" clusterip_hash="sourceip" op start
interval="0" timeout="20" op stop interval="0" timeout="20" op monitor
interval="10" timeout="20" meta resource-stickiness=0 clone meta
clone-max="2" clone-node-max="2" interleave="true" globally-unique="true"

The xxx.yyy.zzz.www is public IP not a private one.

With the above command the IP clone is created but it is started only on
one node. This is the output of pcs status command

Clone Set: ClusterIP-clone [ClusterIP] (unique)
     ClusterIP:0    (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr2):    Started node02
     ClusterIP:1    (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr2):    Started node02

If I modify the clone-node-max to 1 then the resource is started on both
nodes as seen in this pcs status output:

Clone Set: ClusterIP-clone [ClusterIP] (unique)
     ClusterIP:0    (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr2):    Started node02
     ClusterIP:1    (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr2):    Started node01

But if one node fails the IP resource is not migrated to active node as is
said in documentation.

Clone Set: ClusterIP-clone [ClusterIP] (unique)
     ClusterIP:0    (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr2):    Started node02
     ClusterIP:1    (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr2):    Stopped

When the IP is active on both nodes the services are accessible so there is
not an issue with the fact that the interface dose not have an IP allocated
at boot. The gateway is set with another pcs command and it is working.

Thank in advance for any info.

Best regards
Octavian Ciobanu