[ClusterLabs] Installing on SLES 12 -- Where's the Repos?

Eric Robinson eric.robinson at psmnv.com
Fri Jun 16 15:57:13 EDT 2017

> > Out of curiosity, do the openSUSE Leap repos and packages work with
> SLES?
>
> I know that there are some base system differences that could cause
> problems, things like Leap using systemd/journald for logging while SLES is
> still logging via syslog-ng (IIRC)... so it's possible that you could get into
> problems if you mix versions. And adding the Leap repositories to SLES will
> probably mess things up since both deliver slightly different versions of the
> base system.

Good information.

> For SLES, there's now the Package Hub which has open source packages
> taken from Leap and confirmed not to conflict with SLES, so you can mix a
> supported base system with unsupported open source packages with less
> risk for breaking anything:
>
> https://packagehub.suse.com/

That sounds like a possibility. We're such freaking cheapos, we have a bunch or RHEL servers, but only 1 of them has a subscription, which we keep active so we have access to the RHEL knowledge base.  We never call for support. All the other servers are kept up to date using the CentOS repos, which works fine.

I'm thinking of doing similar with SLES with the PackageHub repos, but maybe we'll just use Leap. I haven't installed Leap yet. The SLES installer is winderful compared to Red Hat's. I like it a lot, especially the GUI disk partitioner with its device maps and mount maps and whatnot. If the Leap installer is like it, I will be tempted to go with it instead of SLES.

--Eric