[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Rename option group resource id with pcs

Kristoffer Grönlund kgronlund at suse.com
Tue Apr 11 09:25:01 EDT 2017

Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> writes:

> Nachricht <20170411094352.GD8414 at tuttle.homenet>:
>> Hi,

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> No, there is not.
>>>
>>> Pacemaker doesn't really cover the concept of renaming a resource.
>>
>> Perhaps you can check how crmsh does resource rename. It's not
>> impossible, but can be rather involved if there are other objects
>> (e.g. constraints) referencing the resource. Also, crmsh will
>> refuse to rename the resource if it's running.
>
> The real problem in pacemaker (as resources are created now) is that the "IDs" have too much semantic, i.e. most are derived from the resource name (while lacking a name attribute or element), and some required elements are IDs are accessed by ID, and not by name.
>
> Examples:
>     <cluster_property_set id="cib-bootstrap-options">
>       <nvpair id="cib-bootstrap-options-dc-version" name="dc-version" value="1.1
> .12-f47ea56"/>
>
> A <clone>s and <primitive>s have no name, but only an ID (it seems).
>
>           <op id="prm_DLM-start-0" interval="0" name="start" timeout="90"/>
>
> This is redundant: As the <op> is part of a resource (by XML structure) it's unneccessary to put the name of the resource into the ID of the operation.
>
> It all looks like a kind of abuse of XML IMHO.I think the next CIB format should be able to handle IDs that are free of semantics other than to denote (relatively unique) identity. That is: It should be OK to assign IDs like "i1", "i2", "i3", ... and besides from an IDREF the elements should be accessed by structure and/or name.
>
> (If the ID should be the primary identification feature, flatten all structure and drop all (redundant) names.)

The abuse of ids in the pacemaker schema is a pet peeve of mine; it
would be better to only have ids for nodes where it makes sense: Naming
resources, for example (though I would prefer human-friendly names
rather than ids with loosely defined restrictions). References to
individual XML nodes can be done via XPATH rather than having to assign
ids to every single node in the tree.

Of course, changing it at this point is probably not worth the trouble.

Cheers,
Kristoffer