[ClusterLabs] Antw: PSA Ubuntu 16.04 and OCSF2 corruption

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Apr 11 02:07:24 EDT 2017

<1870523950.17456.1491856403263.JavaMail.zimbra at 0b10.mx>:
> Hello,
>
> Just opened what I think is a bug with the Ubuntu util-linux package:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/1681410
>
> TL;DR
>
> The 'fstrim' command is run weekly on all filesystems.  If you're using
> ocfs2 and the same filesystem is mounted on multiple Ubuntu 16.04 servers,
> this fstrim is run at the same time to the same device from all servers.  I'm
> positive this is what's causing my filesystem corruption issues, which occurs
> a minute or two after fstrim is scheduled to run.

Without knowing the details of fstrim I think with proper locking in place, filesystem corruption should never occur. However if one node in OCFS allocated the block that another node trims (the non-locking case), you will loose that newly allocated block. I wonder whether fstrim can be used in cluster filesystems.

Regards,
Ulrich