[ClusterLabs] How to force remove a cluster node?

Scott Greenlese swgreenl at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 13 14:11:16 EDT 2017

Hi,

I need to remove some nodes from my existing pacemaker cluster which are
currently unbootable / unreachable.

Referenced
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/High_Availability_Add-On_Reference/s1-clusternodemanage-HAAR.html#s2-noderemove-HAAR

4.4.4. Removing Cluster Nodes
The following command shuts down the specified node and removes it from the
cluster configuration file, corosync.conf, on all of the other nodes in the
cluster. For information on removing all information about the cluster from
the cluster nodes entirely, thereby destroying the cluster permanently,
refer to Section 4.6, “Removing the Cluster Configuration”.
pcs cluster node remove node

I ran the command with the cluster active on 3 of the 5 available cluster
nodes (with quorum).  The command fails with:

[root at zs90KP VD]# date;pcs cluster node remove zs93kjpcs1
Thu Apr 13 13:40:59 EDT 2017
Error: pcsd is not running on zs93kjpcs1

The node was not removed:

[root at zs90KP VD]# pcs status |less
Cluster name: test_cluster_2
Last updated: Thu Apr 13 14:08:15 2017          Last change: Wed Apr 12
16:40:26 2017 by root via cibadmin on zs93KLpcs1
Stack: corosync
Current DC: zs90kppcs1 (version 1.1.13-10.el7_2.ibm.1-44eb2dd) - partition
with quorum
45 nodes and 180 resources configured

Node zs95KLpcs1: UNCLEAN (offline)
Online: [ zs90kppcs1 zs93KLpcs1 zs95kjpcs1 ]
OFFLINE: [ zs93kjpcs1 ]

Is there a way to force remove a node that's no longer bootable?    If not,
what's the procedure for removing a rogue cluster node?

Thank you...

Scott Greenlese ... KVM on System Z - Solutions Test, IBM Poughkeepsie,
N.Y.
  INTERNET:  swgreenl at us.ibm.com