[ClusterLabs] Can Bonding Cause a Broadcast Storm?

Eric Robinson eric.robinson at psmnv.com
Tue Nov 15 16:25:23 EST 2016

If a Linux server with bonded interfaces attached to different switches is rebooted, is it possible that a bridge loop could result for a brief period? We noticed that one of our 100 Linux servers became unresponsive and appears to have rebooted. (The cause has not been determined.) A couple of minutes afterwards, we saw a gigantic spike in traffic on all switches in the network that lasted for about 7 minutes, causing latency and packet loss on the network. Everything was still reachable, but slowly. The condition stopped as soon as the Linux server in question became reachable again.

--
Eric Robinson