[Pacemaker] Two node cluster and no hardware device for stonith.

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 11 05:30:57 EST 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 09:10:45AM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> В Tue, 10 Feb 2015 15:58:57 +0100
> Dejan Muhamedagic <dejanmm at fastmail.fm> пишет:

> > > In theory.
> > >
> > > In practice, we rely on "proper behaviour" of "the other site",
> > > in case a ticket is revoked, or cannot be renewed.
> > >
> > > Relying on a single node for "proper behaviour" does not inspire
> > > as much confidence as relying on a multi-node HA-cluster at each site,
> > > which we can expect to ensure internal fencing.
> > >
> > > With reliable hardware watchdogs, it still should be ok to do
> > > "stretched two node HA clusters" in a reliable way.
> > >
> > > Be generous with timeouts.
> >
> > As always.
> >
> > > And document which failure modes you expect to handle,
> > > and how to deal with the worst-case scenarios if you end up with some
> > > failure case that you are not equipped to handle properly.
> > >
> > > There are deployments which favor
> > > "rather online with _potential_ split brain" over
> > > "rather offline just in case".
> >
> > There's an arbitrator which should help in case of split brain.
> >

> You can never really differentiate between site down and site cut off
> due to (network) infrastructure outage. Arbitrator can mitigate split
> brain only to the extent you trust your network. You still have to take
> decision what you value more - data availability or data consistency.

Right, that's why I mentioned ticket loss policy. If booth drops
the ticket, pacemaker would fence the node (if loss-policy=fence).
Booth guarantees that no two sites will hold the ticket at the
same time. Of course, you have to trust booth to function
properly, but I guess that's a different story.

Thanks,

Dejan