[Pacemaker] Stopping/restarting pacemaker without stopping resources?

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 02:40:50 EDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Andrew Beekhof <andrew at beekhof.net> wrote:

>> On 27 Oct 2014, at 2:30 pm, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> В Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:09:08 +1100

>>> When you stopped the cluster or when you started it after an upgrade?
>>
>> When I started it
>>
>> crm_attribute -t crm_config -n is-managed-default -v false
>> rcopenais stop on both nodes
>> rcopenais start on both node; wait for them to stabilize
>> crm_attribute -t crm_config -n is-managed-default -v true
>>
>> It stopped running master/slave, moved master and left slave stopped.
>
> What did crm_mon say before you set is-managed-default back to true?
> Did the resource agent properly detect it as running in the master state?

You are right, it returned 0, not 8.

> Did the resource agent properly (re)set a preference for being promoted during the initial monitor operation?

It did, but it was too late - after it had already been demoted.

> Pacemaker can do it, but it is dependant on the resources behaving correctly.

I see.

Well, this would be a problem ... RA keeps track of current
promoted/demoted status in CIB as transient attribute which gets reset
after reboot. This would entail quite a bit of redesign ...

But what got me confused were these errors during initial probing, like

Oct 24 17:26:54 n1 crmd[32425]:  warning: status_from_rc: Action 9
(rsc_ip_VIP_monitor_0) on n2 failed (target: 7 vs. rc: 0): Error

This looks like pacemaker does expect resource to be in stopped state
and "running" state would be interpreted as error? I mean, normal
response to such monitor response would be to stop resource to bring
it in target state, no?