[Pacemaker] split brain - after network recovery - resources can still be migrated

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sun Oct 26 13:06:04 EDT 2014

On 26/10/14 12:32 PM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> В Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:01:03 +0100
> Vladimir <ml at foomx.de> пишет:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 19:11:02 -0400
>> Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:

>>> DRBD will refuse to reconnect until it is told which node's data to
>>> delete. This is data loss and can not be safely automated.
>>
>> Sorry if maybe described it unclear but I don't want pacemaker to do an
>> automatic split brain recovery. That would not make any sense to me
>> either. This decission has to be taken by an administrator.
>>
>> But is it possible to configure pacemaker to do the following?
>>
>> - if there are 2 Nodes which can see and communicate with each other
>>    AND
>> - if their disk state is not UpToDate/UpToDate (typically after a split
>>    brain)
>> - then let drbd resource fail because something is obviously broken and
>>    an administrator has to decide how to continue.
>>

> This would require resource agent support. But it looks like current
> resource agent relies on fencing to resolve split brain situation. As
> long as resource agent itself does not indicate resource failure,
> there is nothing pacemaker can do.

>>> You need node-level fencing.
>>
>> I know node level fencing is more secure. But shouldn't resource level
>> fencing also work here? e.g.
>> (http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-pacemaker-fencing.html)
>>
>> Currently I can't use ipmi, apc switches or a shared storage device
>> for fencing at most fencing via ssh. But what I've read this is also not
>> recommended for production setups.
>>

> You could try meatware stonith agent. This does exactly what you want -
> it freezes further processing unless administrator manually declares one
> node as down.

Support for this was dropped in the Red Hat world back in 2010ish
because it was so easy for a panicy admin to clear the fence without
adequately ensuring the peer node had actually been turned off. I
*strongly* recommend against using manual fencing. If your nodes have
IPMI, use that. It's super well tested.

--
Digimer
access to education?