[Pacemaker] #kind eq container matches bare-metal nodes

David Vossel dvossel at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 15:39:24 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----

> >> Unclear, the intent was 'nodes that aren't really cluster nodes'.
> >> Whats the usecase for wanting to tell them apart? (I can think of some,
> >> just want to hear yours)
> >
> > I want VM resources to be placed only on bare-metal remote nodes.
> > -inf: #kind ne container looks a little bit strange.
> > #kind ne remote would be more descriptive (having now them listed in CIB
> > with 'remote' type).
>
> One more case (which is what I'd like to use in the mid-future) is a
> mixed remote-node environment, where VMs run on bare-metal remote nodes
> using storage from cluster nodes (f.e. sheepdog), and some of that VMs
> are whitebox containers themselves (they run services controlled by
> pacemaker via pacemaker_remoted). Having constraint '-inf: #kind ne
> container' is not enough to not try to run VMs inside of VMs - both
> bare-metal remote nodes and whitebox containers match 'container'.

remember, you can't run remote-nodes nested within remote-nodes... so
container nodes on baremetal remote-nodes won't work.

You don't have to be careful about not messing this up or anything.
You can mix container nodes and baremetal remote-nodes and everything should
work fine. The policy engine will never allow you to place a container node
on a baremetal remote-node though.

-- David