[Pacemaker] configuration variants for 2 node cluster

Kostiantyn Ponomarenko konstantin.ponomarenko at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 08:51:49 EDT 2014

Chrissie,

I don't wont to reinvent a quorum disk =)
I know about its complexity.
That's why I think that the most reasonable decision for me is to wait till
Corosync 2 gets quorum disk :)
But meanwhile I need to deal somehow with my situation.
So, the possible solution for me is creating a daemon, which will start
cluster stack based on some circumstances.

Here is how I see it (any improvements are appreciated):

The marker: SCSI reservation of SSD
IMPORTANT: The daemon should distinguish which node marker belongs to.
QUESTION: What other markers is it possible to use?

--------------
Main workflow:
--------------
1. Node start
2. Daemon start
    2.1. Check the marker. Is marker present?
        NO:
            2.1.1. Set marker. Successful?
                NO: Do nothing. (Go to 2.1 and repeat it for few times).
                YES: Start cluster stack.
        YES:
            2.1.2. Ping the other node. Successful?
                NO: Do nothing: the other node is probably (99%) on.
                YES:
                    Remove the marker.
                    Start cluster stack.[*]
                    P.S.: In case cluster won't establish connection with
the other node, fencing agent on this node is triggered and will fence the
other node (can be fence loop but we can minimize possibility of it[1]).

----------------------
Split brain situation:
----------------------
1. Fencing agent tries to set the marker. Successful?
    NO: Do nothing: this node is gonna be fenced. Meanwhile this node can
be put in standby mode while waiting for fencing.
    YES: STONITH (reboot) the other node. Marker is kept.

---------
Benefits:
---------
Even after reboot, one of the nodes still starts cluster stack - the one
that the marker belongs to.

------------------
Possible problems:
------------------
If the node, that the marker belongs to, is not working, we need to force
run cluster stack on the other node.
It requires human interaction.

* In case ping is successful but cluster doesn't see the other node (is it
even possible?) we can do the next:
    a. Daemon starts Corosync.
    b. Gets a list of nodes and ensures that the other node is present
there. This is the guarantee that the nodes are seeing each other in the
cluster.
    c. Starts Pacemaker.

Thank you,
Kostya