[Pacemaker] Blind Faith still fencing unseen nodes

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Fri Jun 27 08:31:57 CEST 2014

On 13 Jun 2014, at 9:21 pm, Jason Hendry <jhendry at mintel.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is my first post, please let me know if I am missing any standard/essential information to help with debugging...
>
> I have a 2-node cluster with node-level fencing.  The cluster appears to be configured with "Blind Faith" but my nodes are still killing each other if the host is up but the cluster is not running on it, to produce this I:
>
> Power-on both nodes
> Stop the cluster on both node [pcs cluster stop]
> Start the cluster on a single node  [pcs cluster start]
>
> After starting the cluster I get this message the cluster logs:
>
> Jun 13 09:59:48 [15756] dev-drbd01.london.mintel.ad    pengine:  warning: unpack_nodes: Blind faith: not fencing unseen nodes
> Jun 13 09:59:48 [15756] dev-drbd01.london.mintel.ad    pengine:     info: determine_online_status_fencing: Node ha-nfs1 is active
> Jun 13 09:59:48 [15756] dev-drbd01.london.mintel.ad    pengine:     info: determine_online_status: Node ha-nfs1 is online
> Jun 13 09:59:48 [15756] dev-drbd01.london.mintel.ad    pengine:  warning: pe_fence_node: Node ha-nfs2 will be fenced because the peer has not been seen by the cluster
>
> Am I miss-understanding the meaning of "Blind faith" or is something mis-configured?

Looks like you might have found a bug.
"Blind faith" is a particularly dangerous option to turn on, so it doesn't get tested very often.

A few lines further down in your logs should be a message from pengine that looks something like:

Jun 13 09:59:48 [15756] dev-drbd01.london.mintel.ad    pengine:  warning: process_pe_message: Calculated Transition ${X}: /var/lib/pacemaker/pengine/pe-warn-${Y}.bz2

If you can send us that file I'll make sure it gets fixed.