[Pacemaker] node1 fencing itself after node2 being fenced

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Tue Feb 18 22:29:36 EST 2014

On 18 Feb 2014, at 9:12 pm, Asgaroth <lists at blueface.com> wrote:

>> The 3rd node should (and needs to be) fenced at this point to allow the
>> cluster to continue.
>> Is this not happening?
>
> The fencing operation appears to complete successfully, here is the
> sequence:
>
> [1] All 3 nodes running properly
> [2] On node 3 I run "echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger" which "hangs" node3
> [3] The fence_test03 resources executes a fence operation on node 3 (fires a
> shutdown/startup on the vm)
> [4] dlm shows kern_stop state while node 3 is being fenced
> [5] node 3 reboots, and node 1 & 2 operate as normal (clvmd and gfs2 work
> properly, dlm notified that fence successful (2 members in each lock group))
> [6] While node 3 is booting, cman starts properly then clvmd starts but
> hangs on boot

I would really love to see logs at this point.
Both from pacemaker and the system in general (and clvmd if it produces any).

Based on what you say below, there doesn't seem to be a good reason for the hang (ie. no reason to be trying to fence anyone)

> [7] While node 3 is "hung" at the clvmd stage, node 1 & 2 are unable to
> perform lvm operations due to node 3 attempting to join the clvmd "group".
> Dlm shows that node 3 is a member, cman sees node 3 as a cluster member,
> however, pacemaker has not started as clvmd is not successfully started.
>
> Because pacemaker is not "up" and because I do not have clvmd as a resource
> definition, there is no fence performed if/when clvmd fails.
>
> Other than the above, fencing appears to be working properly. Are there some
> other fencing tests you may like me to perform to verify that fencing is
> working as expected?
>

>> Did you specify on-fail=fence for the clvmd agent?
>>

> Hmmm, I don't have any clvmd agents defined within pacemaker at the moment
> as I am starting clvmd outside of pacemaker control.

Right. I forgot. Sorry. Carry on :-)
There have been a bunch of discussions going on regarding clvmd in rhel7 and they got muddled in my head.