[Pacemaker] node1 fencing itself after node2 being fenced

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Sun Feb 16 19:54:46 EST 2014

On 7 Feb 2014, at 10:22 pm, Asgaroth <lists at blueface.com> wrote:

> On 06/02/2014 05:52, Vladislav Bogdanov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I bet your problem comes from the LSB clvmd init script.
>> Here is what it does do:
>>
>> ===========
>> clustered_vgs() {
>>     ${lvm_vgdisplay} 2>/dev/null | \
>>         awk 'BEGIN {RS="VG Name"} {if (/Clustered/) print $1;}'
>> }
>>
>> clustered_active_lvs() {
>>     for i in $(clustered_vgs); do
>>         ${lvm_lvdisplay} $i 2>/dev/null | \
>>         awk 'BEGIN {RS="LV Name"} {if (/[^N^O^T] available/) print $1;}'
>>     done
>> }
>>
>> rh_status() {
>>     status $DAEMON
>> }
>> case "$1" in
>>   status)
>>     rh_status
>>     rtrn=$?
>>     if [ $rtrn = 0 ]; then
>>         cvgs="$(clustered_vgs)"
>>         echo Clustered Volume Groups: ${cvgs:-"(none)"}
>>         clvs="$(clustered_active_lvs)"
>>         echo Active clustered Logical Volumes: ${clvs:-"(none)"}
>>     fi
>> esac
>>
>> exit $rtrn
>> =========
>>
>> So, it not only looks for status of daemon itself, but also tries to
>> list volume groups. And this operation is blocked because fencing is
>> still in progress, and the whole cLVM thing (as well as DLM itself and
>> all other dependent services) is frozen. So your resource timeouts in
>> monitor operation, and then pacemaker asks it to stop (unless you have
>> on-fail=fence). Anyways, there is a big chance that stop will fail too,
>> and that leads again to fencing. cLVM is very fragile in my opinion
>> (although newer versions running on corosync2 stack seem to be much
>> better). And it is probably still doesn't work well when managed by
>> pacemaker in CMAN-based clusters, because it blocks globally if any node
>> in the whole cluster is online at the cman layer but doesn't run clvmd
>> (I checked last time with .99). And that was the same for all stacks,
>> until was fixed for corosync (only 2?) stack recently. The problem with
>> that is that you cannot just stop pacemaker on one node (f.e. for
>> maintenance), you should immediately stop cman as well (or run clvmd in
>> cman'ish way) - cLVM freezes on another node. This should be easily
>> fixable in clvmd code, but nobody cares.
>
> Thanks for the explanation, this is interresting for me as I need a volume manager in the cluster to manager the shared file systems in case I need to resize for some reason. I think I may be coming up against something similar now that I am testing cman outside of the cluster, even though I have cman/clvmd enabled outside pacemaker the clvmd daemon still hangs even when the 2nd node has been rebooted due to a fence operation,

If you have configured cman to use fence_pcmk, then all cman/dlm/clvmd fencing operations are sent to Pacemaker.
If you aren't running pacemaker, then you have a big problem as no-one can perform fencing.

I don't know if you are testing without pacemaker running, but if so you would need to configure cman with real fencing devices.