[Pacemaker] ocf:lvm2:clvmd resource agent

Andrew Daugherity adaugherity at tamu.edu
Wed Feb 12 17:56:18 EST 2014

I noticed in recent discussions on this list that this RA is apparently a SUSE thing and not upstreamed into resource-agents.  This was news to me, but apparently is indeed the case.

I guess it's SUSE's decision whether to push it upstream but IMO that would be the best way to go, so it could become the standard "by-the-book" way to use clvmd with pacemaker.  Right now it lives in the lvm2-clvm RPM, which is in the SLES 11 HAE add-on and also in the standard OSS repo for openSUSE [1].

The rest of this message is directed more at the SUSE developers & engineers who read this list; hopefully this is a more eyeballs = bugs are shallow thing than an annoyance...

For now, is there a github repo or equivalent for this package, or do you just want people to file bugs with openSUSE/support requests with Novell?  Reason I ask is, I noticed lots of log spamming by clvmd after upgrading from SLES 11 SP2 to SP3.  Indeed clvmd is now running with the '-d2' option, which is the new default:
====
# Parameter defaults
: ${OCF_RESKEY_CRM_meta_globally_unique:="false"}
: ${OCF_RESKEY_daemon_timeout:="80"}
: ${OCF_RESKEY_daemon_options:="-d2"}
====
In SP2 it read ': ${OCF_RESKEY_daemon_options:="-d0"}'.

After adjusting my clvmd cluster resource to silence this, by adding daemon_options like so:
====
primitive clvm ocf:lvm2:clvmd \
        params daemon_options="-d0" \
        op start interval="0" timeout="90" \
        op stop interval="0" timeout="100"
====
syslog is back to normal.

In the RPM changelog it looks like this was intentional, but the bug in question is marked private, so I have no idea why this was done:
====
* Tue Jan 15 2013 dmzhang at suse.com
- clvmd update to 2.20.98,fix colletive bugs.
- fate#314367, cLVM should support option "mirrored"
  in a clustered environment
- Fix debugging level set in clvmd_set_debug by using the correct
  variable (bnc#785467),change default -d0 to -d2
====
Can someone who has access explain why full -d2 debug mode is now the default?  This doesn't seem like a sensible default.

Thanks,

Andrew Daugherity
Systems Analyst
Division of Research, Texas A&M University

[1] https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=openSUSE%3AFactory&package=lvm2
Specifically, see clvmd.ocf.