[Pacemaker] Pacemaker failover delays (followup)

David Vossel dvossel at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 13:56:52 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

What crm_node -p does depends on which pacemaker stack are running. Using pacemaker+corosync 2.0 with vote quorum (the stack described in the 'pacemaker 1.1 for corosync 2.x' documentation found here http://clusterlabs.org/doc/) crm_node -p is nearly instantaneous.  If you have determined that your resource agent is not at fault, I would recommend updating to a more recent cluster stack.  It is going to be difficult for us to support you if you are using the aging pacemaker+heartbeat stack.

> That notwithstanding, from the POV of the slave during the failover,
> there are delays of several hundred to about 1400ms between the
> completion of the ss script and its invocation for the next event.
> To explain, I’ve attached an Excel spreadsheet (which I’ve verified
> is virus-free), that documents two experiments. In each case,
> there’s an SSID instance that’s master on node-0, the DC, and which
> is killed. The spreadsheet includes a synopsis of the log message
> that follows on both cans, interleaved into a timeline.
>

> By way of explanation, columns B-D contain timestamp information for
> node-0 and columns E-G for node 1. Columns B/E show the current time
> of day, C/F show the monotonic clock value when the ss script begins
> execution (in ms, truncated to the least 5 digits), and D/G show the
> duration of the ss script execution for the relevant event. Column H
> is text extracted from the log, showing the key text. In some cases
> there is a significant amount of information in the log file
> relating to pengine behavior, but I omitted such information from
> the spreadsheet. Column I contains explanatory comments.
>

> Realizing that we need to look forward to upgrading our Pacemaker
> version (from 1.0.9), I wonder if you can clear up a couple of
> questions. We are presently using Heartbeat, which I believe
> restricts our upgrade to the 1.0 branch, correct? In other words, if
> we want to upgrade to the 1.1 branch, are we required to replace
> Heartbeat with Corosync?

Technically, no. Realistically yes. If you update to the latest 1.1.x version of pacemaker I would not recommend attempting to use heartbeat.  We put forth quite a bit of effort to verify the pacemaker+corosync 2.0 and pacemaker+corosync plugin stacks.  There is no effort that I am aware of to test the heartbeat stack. It is largely depreciated and unsupported at this point.

> Secondly, when upgrading, are there kernel
> dependencies to worry about?

I can't speak to that, Andrew may know.

-- Vossel