[Pacemaker] stonith and avoiding split brain in two nodes cluster

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Mon Mar 25 08:54:22 EDT 2013

Hello,

	I am newbie with pacemaker (and, generally, with ha clusters). I have
configured a two nodes cluster. Both nodes are virtual machines (vmware
esx) and use a shared storage (provided by a SAN, although access to the
SAN is from esx infrastructure and VM consider it as scsi disk). I have
configured clvm so logical volumes are only active in one of the nodes.

	Now I need some help with the stonith configuration to avoid data
corrumption. Since I'm using ESX virtual machines, I think I won't have
any problem using external/vcenter stonith plugin to shutdown virtual
machines.

	My problem is how to avoid split brain situation with this
configuration, without configuring a 3rd node. I have read about quorum
disks, external/sbd stonith plugin and other references, but I'm too
confused with all this.

	For example, [1] mention techniques to improve quorum with scsi reserve
or quorum daemon, but it didn't point to how to do this pacemaker. Or
[2] talks about external/sbd.

	Any help?

PS: I have attached my corosync.conf and crm configure show outputs

[1]
http://techthoughts.typepad.com/managing_computers/2007/10/split-brain-quo.html
[2] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linuxha/pacemaker/78887

--