[Pacemaker] Fixed! - Re: Problem with dual-PDU fencing node with redundant PSUs

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Jul 4 11:09:35 EDT 2013

On 04/07/13 10:06, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:53:50AM -0400, Digimer wrote:

>>> I suppose that you're supporting a few clusters. How often does
>>> it happen that nodes get fenced? And why? And did you in those
>>> cases needed to use the backup fence device?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dejan
>>
>> They occasionally get fenced, but it's very rare. Most were from an
>> earlier configuration I no longer offer that were based on one switch
>> (with redundant NICs in bond mode=1). The switch would hiccup and that
>> would trigger fencing. Since I switched to dual switches, I've not had a
>> network-triggered failure.
>>
>> The most common problem I see, that my cluster saved people from, is
>> power problems. These have never required fencing, but rather simply
>> having two monitored UPSes has allowed us to detecting pending
>> catastrophic power failures (a transformer blew up three days after we
>> started seeing alerts, a faulty regulator in a customer's neighborhood,
>> etc).
>
> Right, I'd also guess that power failures are the most common in
> the hardware category.
>
>> We've also saved a customer's entire (small) DC when they lost AC and
>> their own alerts failed (we saw a sudden rise in inlet temp and alerted
>> the client.). One node at the top of the rack (out of four dual-node
>> clusters) went into thermal shutdown and got fenced before we could shed
>> enough load. They didn't lose any of their non-clustered servers though.
>>
>> So to your question; have we ever needed the backup fencing in
>> production? Nope, but I see it as just a matter of time. One user error,
>> one bad UPS/battery pack, one tripped breaker and it will save us. When
>> we demo our clusters to perspective customers, the most dramatic test we
>> do is shut down the primary UPS. This takes out one of the switches, one
>> of the dashboard appliances and forces the nodes to run on half their
>> power. If this happened in production, then dual-PDUs would certainly
>> save us.
>>
>> Not my personal experience, but a sysadmin friend of mine had a case
>> where a server's 12vDC wire was rubbing against a sharp piece of the
>> chassis. Eventually it cut through the insulation and shorted out,
>> taking the node's power off despite having redundant PSUs. Had this
>> happened to our cluster, we'd have been saved by the backup fence device
>> because the IPMI would have been lost.
>
> There are also some light-out devices with battery backup
> providing power for enough time for fencing to succeed.
>
>> I've got ten or so customers around north america and I've only been
>> doing this for four years or so. That I have not *yet* been saved by
>> backup fencing in no way means it is not needed. :)
>
> I'd really be interested in numbers which we don't have, that is
> how much extra availability in a fully redundant power supply
> setup a backup fencing device provides.
>
> Of course, taking every possible precaution is commendable, but
> [...]

Much like security, performance and other concerns; It's up to each user
to find their balance point. For me and my customers, redundant
everything is required. For many others, perhaps it isn't.

As for the numbers; I would *love* to have those as well. Shy of some
self-reporting system where HA admins fill out forms after incidents
though, I don't see how we could ever gather that data. Even then, it
will never be mandatory, obviously, so the results would be skewed by
the personality type of people willing and able to take the time to
submit those anonymous reports.

cheers!

--
Digimer