[Pacemaker] Using "avoids" location constraint

Andrew Morgan andrewjamesmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 03:49:28 EDT 2013

I'm attempting to implement a 3 node cluster where only 2 nodes are there
to actually run the services and the 3rd is there to form a quorum (so that
the cluster stays up when one of the 2 'workload' nodes fails).

To this end, I added a location avoids contraint so that the services
(including drbd) don't get placed on the 3rd node (drbd3)...

pcs constraint location ms_drbd avoids drbd3.localdomain

the problem is that this constraint doesn't appear to be enforced and I see
failed actions where Pacemaker has attempted to start the services on
drbd3. In most cases I can just ignore the error but if I attempt to
migrate the services using "pcs move" then it causes a fatal startup loop
for drbd. If I migrate by adding an extra location contraint preferring the
other workload node then I can migrate ok.

I'm using Oracle Linux 6.4; drbd83-utils 8.3.11; corosync 1.4.1; cman
3.0.12.1; Pacemaker 1.1.8 & pcs 1.1.8

Thanks, Andrew.