[Pacemaker] Node addition policy

Vladislav Bogdanov bubble at hoster-ok.com
Thu Jul 4 05:24:50 EDT 2013

Hi,

I think about safest way to expanding the cluster, and my observations
show that new nodes are always added in the "online" state
(standby="off"). I would like nodes to appear in standby="on" state
unless they can be fenced immediately after addition (fencing is
configured for them). Other option would be to add them standby
unconditionally (f.e. admin want to configure some node attributes
before node runs some resources - like I want for some clusters).

So, I think that it is worth adding new cluster option for that (f.e.
node-addition-policy [online(default)|standby|fencing] ).

I tried to add node section for not-yet-known node  with crmsh but
failed (it doesn't like $id for such nodes). After some thinking I
believe it is better to have some default policy instead of adding node
sections "in advance", just to minimize the consequences of human errors.

Does that make sense for others?

Thanks,
Vladislav