[Pacemaker] Corosync 2 + pacemaker on SL6.3

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Tue Jan 8 21:24:21 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM, Andreas Mock <andreas.mock at web.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after a long time I'm back in charge of a cluster.
> So, as always, I looked at the well known resources
> to see what happend after the last time: And, it is much.
>
> Please correct me if you see that my assumptions are bad.
>
> As far as I can see it is adviced to use cman + corosync 1
> + pacemaker on RHEL clones like Scientific Linux is.
> It seems that there are packackes of packemaker 1.1.8 that should
> fit in a regular RHEL distribution. SL6.3 has pacemaker 1.1.7
> in its repositories. (Is it worth to have 1.1.8?)

Yes. Basically.
Though if you're (re)compiling from source, you might be even better
off grabbing HEAD from git.
Given the amount of testing I've been doing the last few weeks I
should probably take the opportunity to put out 1.1.9 before I break
something :-)

> My question: If I'm not interested in GFS, OCFS, DLM and
> therefore not in the "distribution's specialaties" is it
> feasible/useful to use corosync 2 + pacemaker together (manually
> compiled) to get a "state-of-the-art" cluster up?

Absolutely.  Anything is possible to those that know what they're doing :-)
The change in tone of late (ie. in quickstart.html) is intended to
provide clear direction for those just starting out, not to put a
limit on advanced users.

> I came across this at
> http://theclusterguy.clusterlabs.org/post/34604901720/pacemaker-and-cluster-
> filesystems
>

> Or would you recommend staying with the distribution's layout?
> This would have the benefit of precompiled packages, howtos are
> available, etc.

If you're confident building packages there's not much difference.
There are already howtos etc for clusters based on corosync 2.0.