[Pacemaker] Manual fence confirmation by stonith_admin doesn't work again.

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Dec 19 02:28:57 EST 2013

Re-sending to keep this in the public archives. Please keep replies on
the list, it benefits everyone that way.

On 19/12/13 01:17 AM, Nikita Staroverov wrote:

>>> Some months ago i wrote about manual fence confirmation by stonith_admin
>>> -C. Andrew fixed this, but it works only for pacemaker+corosync.
>>> CMAN-based configuration won't do manual fencing this way.
>>> I tried stonith_admin -C , pacemaker made node  clean offline, but
>>> didn't notify CMAN about this. CMAN's fenced was tried fence_pcmk
>>> indefinitly.
>>> fence_ack_manual works as expected.
>>> I think pacemaker must notify CMAN about manual fence confirmations.
>>> Tested configuration: CentOS 6.5, pacemaker 1.1.10 from centos repos.
>>
>> That's how cman's fencing is designed. It does not support manual
>> fencing at all, and for good reason, I would argue. Is there a reason
>> you aren't using real fencing?
>>
> 1. CMAN supports manual fencing. man fence_ack_manual, please.

Please see:

https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/36302

If you don't have an account, the relevant part is:

"Usage of fence_manual is not supported in any production cluster. You
may use this fence agent for development or debugging purposes only."

> 2. Pacemaker notifies CMAN about  real fencing, why not about manual
> confirmations? It's bug, i'm sure.

Perhaps, I can't speak to pacemaker's behaviour.

> 3. I use real fencing. Manual fencing needed in rare situations, like
> problem with IPMI controller, lost power or so. What should
> administrator do without manual confirmations? :)

Fencing should loop until it succeeds. Fix the problem, fence_ack_manual
if that's not possible or, ideally, use multiple fence methods (I use
IPMI on one switch and switched PDUs on another switch for redundancy).

--
Digimer
access to education?