[Pacemaker] is ccs as racy as it feels?

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 07:52:23 EST 2013

On 10/12/13 12:31, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-12-10 at 10:27 +0000, Christine Caulfield wrote:
>>
>> Sadly you're not wrong.
>
> That's what I was afraid of.
>
>> But it's actually no worse than updating
>> corosync.conf manually,
>
> I think it is...
>
>> in fact it's pretty much the same thing,
>
> Not really.  Updating corosync.conf on any given node means only having
> to write that file on that node.  There is no cluster-wide
> synchronization needed and therefore no last-write-wins race so all
> nodes can do that in parallel.  Plus adding a new node means only having
> to update the corosync.conf on that new node (and starting up corosync
> of course) and corosync then does the job of telling it's peers about
> the new node rather than having to have the administrator go out and
> touch every node to inform them of the new member.
>
> It's this removal of node auto-discovery and changing it to an operator
> task that is really complicating the workflow.  Granted, it's not so
> much complicating it for a human operator who is naturally only
> single-threaded and mostly incapable of inducing the last-write-wins
> races.
>
> But when you are writing tools that now have to take what used to be a
> very capable multithreaded task, free of races and shove it down a
> single-threaded pipe/queue just to eliminate races, this is a huge step
> backwards in evolution.
>
>> so
>> nothing is actually getting worse.
>
> It is though.  See above.
>
>> All the CIB information is still
>> properly replicated.
>
> Yeah.  I understand/understood that.  Pacemaker's actual operations go
> mostly unchanged.  It's the cluster membership process that's gotten
> needlessly complicated and regressed in functionality.
>
>> The main difficulty is in safely replicating information that's needed
>> to boot the system.
>
> Do you literally mean staring the system up?  I guess the use-case you
> are describing here is booting nodes from a clustered filesystem?  But
> what if you don't need that complication?  This process is being made
> more complicated to satisfy only a subset of the use-cases.
>
>> In general use we've not found it to be a huge problem (though, I'm
>> still not keen on it either TBH) because most management is done by one
>> person from one node.
>
> Indeed.  As I said above, WRT to single-threaded operators.  But when
> you are writing a management system on top of all of this, which
> naturally wants to be multi-threaded (because scalable systems avoid
> bottlenecking through single choke points) and was able to be
> multithreaded when it was just corosync.conf, having to choke everything
> back down into a single thread just sucks.
>
>> There is not really any concept of nodes trying to
>> "add themselves" to a cluster, it needs to be done by a person - which
>> maybe what you're unhappy with.

> [...]

This is not officially supported but you might like to investigate the
command 'cman_tool join -X' which allows cman to do auto-discovery.
There is some brief documentation in the man page, but you might need to
play with it to see what it can do for you and which bits actually work
as you want them to ...

Chrissie