[Pacemaker] Fencing: Where?

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Mon Dec 2 03:46:12 EST 2013

Hi,

as far as I unterstood RH is going to do all infrastructure in the cman layer
and user pacemaker only for resource management. Whith this setup fencing also
will be a job of the fenced of the cman package.

This design has its advantages: If descisions are taked on a low level, all
parts of the cluster have the chance to know about theses descisions.

BUT: If pacemaker needs to fence a node, it has no possibility to so so any
more. Imagine a resource will not stop and pacemaker would like to fence that
node to go on. How would that situation be handled with fencing in cman?

Is there any way pacemaker can tell cman about it's wish to fence an other
nore?

The only solution I can think of is to delegate the fencing in cman to
pacemaker. So both layers are able to fence. But this cannot be a good
solution, since we have to setup fencing on two places.

Thanks for fruitful discussion.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Michael Schwartzkopff

--