[Pacemaker] cman based cluster fencindevice fence_pcmk

David Vossel dvossel at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 11:09:44 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

Take a look at the this page again. http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1-plugin/html/Clusters_from_Scratch/ch08s02s03.html

at the top.

"We configure the fence_pcmk agent (supplied with Pacemaker) to redirect any fencing requests from CMAN components (such as dlm_controld) to Pacemaker. "

So, with your CMAN stack + pacemaker, we are configuring CMAN to call into STONITH to issue fencing requests by using fence_pcmk.  fence_pcmk is just an interface for CMAN to talk to STONITH. The actual fencing devices (like fence_ipmilan) are configured in pacemaker.

That means fencing will look like this coming from CMAN

 CMAN >>> fence_pcmk >>>> STONITH >>> fence_ipmilan

Fencing coming from pacemaker looks like this.

 pacemaker >>>> STONITH >>>> fence_ipmilan

Pacemaker can talk directly to STONITH via IPC.  CMAN needs to talk to stonith through the fence_pcmk agent.

To configure STOINTH devices in pacemaker follow this guide. If you are using a rhel 6.4 based distro I'd use the pcs management tool, http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1-pcs/html-single/Clusters_from_Scratch/index.html#idm48909136 For crm shell use this guide, http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1-crmsh/html-single/Clusters_from_Scratch/index.html#_example

Hope this helps
-- Vossel