[Pacemaker] active standby failover

Rus Hughes russell.hughes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 05:30:47 EDT 2013

Hi,

I hope I've got the right list, I'm still a little confused about where
CMAN ends and Pacemaker begins! We're using Pacemaker and CMAN on Oracle
6.3 to try and create an active/standby failover pair, but seem to have
some annoying conditions that are making this tricky.

We hae 2 nodes, vfontopensips1 and vfontopensips2 that we want a VIP to
float between based on the availability of a single daemon we have called
OSP

We have a daemon, called OSP that we want running at all times on both
nodes, we dont want Pacemaker to stop/start this so I believe the correct
thing to do is configure it as unmanaged?

We have one virtual IP that we want on one of the nodes running the OSP
daemon.

The ideal condition is vfontopensips1 has an instance of OSP and the VIP on
it and vfontopensips2 has a running instance of OSP on it. If OSP dies or
fails on vfontopensips1 we want the VIP to move to vfontopensips2
immediately, we wont want Pacemaker/CMAN to try and restart it.

If OSP is then restarted/fixed manually on vfontopensips1 we'd like
Pacemaker/CMAN to detect that monitor events are now working and mark the
node as available but to not move the VIP back to it unless there's a a
failure on vfontopensips2.

Here's the output of crm configure show

node vfontopensips1
node vfontopensips2
primitive ClusterIPPres ocf:heartbeat:IPaddr2 \
    params ip="10.30.0.176" cidr_netmask="32" \
    op monitor interval="5s"
primitive osp ocf:netdev:osp \
    params interval="1s" \
    op monitor interval="5s" \
    meta is-managed="false" migration-threshold="1" on-fail="standby"
colocation osp-with-ip 200: osp ClusterIPPres
property $id="cib-bootstrap-options" \
    dc-version="1.1.8-7.el6-394e906" \
    cluster-infrastructure="cman" \
    stonith-enabled="false" \
    no-quorum-policy="ignore" \
    last-lrm-refresh="1365509847"
rsc_defaults $id="rsc-options" \
    resource-stickiness="100" \
    migration-threshold="1" \
    allow-migrate="true" \
    failure-timeout="5s"

I've attached the OSP OCF file to this email.

This is the output of crm_mon when both OSP instances are up and
vfontopensips1 has the VIP

*********************

Last updated: Wed Apr 10 10:21:11 2013
Last change: Tue Apr  9 16:39:00 2013 via cibadmin on vfontopensips1
Stack: cman
Current DC: vfontopensips1 - partition with quorum
Version: 1.1.8-7.el6-394e906
2 Nodes configured, unknown expected votes
2 Resources configured.

Online: [ vfontopensips1 vfontopensips2 ]

ClusterIPPres   (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr2):    Started vfontopensips1
osp     (ocf::netdev:osp):    Started (unmanaged) [ vfontopensips1
vfontopensips2 ]

*********************

If OSP fails vfontopensips1 loses the VIP but the VIP doesnt move to
vfontopensips2 .. crm_mon outputs

*********************

Last updated: Wed Apr 10 10:22:20 2013
Last change: Tue Apr  9 16:39:00 2013 via cibadmin on vfontopensips1
Stack: cman
Current DC: vfontopensips1 - partition with quorum
Version: 1.1.8-7.el6-394e906
2 Nodes configured, unknown expected votes
2 Resources configured.

Online: [ vfontopensips1 vfontopensips2 ]

osp     (ocf::netdev:osp):    Started (unmanaged) FAILED [ vfontopensips1
vfontopensips2 ]

Failed actions:
    osp_monitor_5000 (node=vfontopensips1, call=96, rc=7, status=complete):
not running
    ClusterIPPres_migrate_to_0 (node=vfontopensips1, call=161, rc=3,
status=complete): unimplemented feature
    ClusterIPPres_migrate_from_0 (node=vfontopensips2, call=138, rc=3,
status=complete): unimplemented feature

*********************

If we fix OSP the VIP then comes back up on vfontopensips1

*********************

Last updated: Wed Apr 10 10:23:26 2013
Last change: Tue Apr  9 16:39:00 2013 via cibadmin on vfontopensips1
Stack: cman
Current DC: vfontopensips1 - partition with quorum
Version: 1.1.8-7.el6-394e906
2 Nodes configured, unknown expected votes
2 Resources configured.

Online: [ vfontopensips1 vfontopensips2 ]

ClusterIPPres   (ocf::heartbeat:IPaddr2):    Started vfontopensips1
osp     (ocf::netdev:osp):    Started (unmanaged) [ vfontopensips1
vfontopensips2 ]

*********************

Obviously this isn't the behaviour I'm after as OSP is up and available on
vfontopensips2 so we'd like the VIP to move there..

Any hints would be great please as this has been confusing me for a few
days now!

The versions we are using are:

cman-3.0.12.1-49.el6.x86_64
pacemaker-libs-1.1.8-7.el6.x86_64
pacemaker-1.1.8-7.el6.x86_64
pacemaker-cluster-libs-1.1.8-7.el6.x86_64
pacemaker-cli-1.1.8-7.el6.x86_64

Linux vfontopensips1 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jun 21 15:00:18 EDT
2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Cheers,

Rus